Tuesday, June 15, 2010

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I've wanted to post this for about 2 months now, but here it is June 18th and I can officially say I have a garden - YEAH!!!
Obviously, I'm getting a late start, but the problem was I had a jungle gym in the only sunny, flat piece of my property, which added significant time to the project. Once the jungle gym was gone, then I had to deal with the fact that I had an 18" deep gravel pit. After contemplating various options for removing it, I finally just decided it was good drainage and the garden would have to go on top.
Now, I have 2 raised beds built with concrete blocks - nothing bad seeping into the soil and they should last forever. The soil is the special veggie soil from Cedar Grove - as my kids said, "It smells awful" so I figure it must have all the good nutrients. I will confess I didn't build them myself - the blocks are 60 pounds apiece and, as you can see from the picture, it took a lot of them!

I am a complete novice at this, but happy to be experimenting. I have one bed for warm season vegetables and one for cool season vegetables. Altogether, I have corn, snow peas, peas, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, lettuce, onions, green onions, carrots, parsnips, basil, thyme, and oregano. I also have some zucchini and pumpkins, but they didn't fit into the beds. I figure they both grow well and need lots of space so I planted them where they would have more room.
It was fun planning and planting with the kids and now I'm looking forward to harvesting later this summer. All we need is SUNSHINE!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you have been busy! From the pictures, it looks amazing. I like how you used the gravel pit around. Definitely green in respect that it doesn't need watering or mowed. I can't believe that you got so much variety in both beds. I've though of doing it in our yard, but nothing has come to fruition.

    Keep us posted on how it turns out. At least I know where to go for my fresh vegies. Haha.

    ReplyDelete