Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Our Kids' Earth Launches!

They say every writer needs to have a blog. For months, I've wondered... Why do I need a blog? Who would read my blog? What would I say on my blog? Now that I've finally settled on a topic that I am passionate about, I've decided to join the blogosphere!

I've named this blog Our Kids' Earth because it is a topic that is of great importance to me and one that could really benefit from the shared ideas of a blog community. We only get one planet and one chance at the way we treat this planet. As I look around and see climate change and the increasing numbers of endangered species, I can't help but wonder if we aren't missing the signals that Earth is sending to us. This planet has existed for billions of years, but surviving humanity may be its greatest challenge to date.

As many of you know, I've recently finished my first book - Earth Rescue. This book is a look into the future to see what happens if we don't honor the Earth and listen to its not-so-subtle warning signs. My hope is that this blog is just one tiny voice in helping to avoid that path.

Today, I launch my blog - albeit very quietly - as I figure out exactly how all this works. In the coming days, weeks, and months, I hope you'll come back to visit and share your ideas about leaving this Earth a better place for our children.

I have a list of ideas that I know I want to cover on this blog - recycling (beyond the basics), simple living, alternative fuels, energy saving appliances, greener packed lunches, Earth Day activities, Earth-friendly disposal of pet waste (truly, it's a problem!), ...

What would you like to talk about? Feel free to just ask a question that's been on your mind. I don't claim to be the expert, but I'll go do the research to find some answers!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erika,
    Love your blog! Love your topic! Here's hoping
    that "our" children will truly adopt/adapt habits
    of being kinder to the earth than our generations
    have been.
    My concerns in this area for you (or anyone) is
    that we have already started to rehash the same
    old ideas and come up with some new ones just don't make sense.
    As a very simple one: why are we getting rid of working appliances (as suggested by one show)to buy new ones that are more energy-friendly!?! Those old ones are added to a landfill as they aren't that easily recycled!
    Also, now that this country has started to re-
    cycle on a household level, let's move on to
    other areas. Having just come back from
    a trip, it was annoying not to be able to re-
    cycle our plastic/glass bottles at our hotel not
    to mention creating a guilt trip. I'm sure that
    there are other commercial areas that could be
    included here.
    Lastly and most importantly, your blog should be
    considered a success since it has started people
    (me) thinking and talking.
    Keep them coming.. Cheryl
    P.S. Any blog that doesn't discuss politics and
    the economy is more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl - Thanks for the feedback. Yes, a break from politics and the economy is refreshing so hopefully I can steer clear of those landmines!

    Take a look at my post from today to see how hotels in other countries handle recycling. We just need to catch up to the rest of the world!

    ReplyDelete