Tuesday, July 6, 2010

On My Doorstep This Morning

Not only was it sunny today when I opened the front door (that rare bright spot at the top of my photo), but I also had fresh garlic on my doorstep!

At first, I was a bit puzzled, but then realized this must have been that plant we'd seen growing in our neighbor's front yard the past few months. I had originally guessed they were irises, but later realized they had to be some sort of vegetable. Thanks neighbor Dave - now I get to taste the garlic!

It is a great reminder of how gardens can enhance a community and bring neighbors closer together - whether it is a community P-patch or just sharing some of your own bounty. I can't wait until I have something to share!

What about you? Have you ever grown enough in your garden to feed the neighbors? I remember some bountiful blueberry bushes in my old yard in Oregon and we also have a pear tree that produces a ton of fruit that no one in my family will eat. I've warmed up to pears enough to put them in my smoothies, but my kids unfortunately seem to have inherited my own childhood aversion to mushy fruit. Maybe my pears will show up on your doorstep one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment