Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Eight Days Until Earth Day

This year Earth Day is on Wednesday, April 22nd. Although I already knew the basics about the day, I recently learned about its history.

Earth Day...
* started in 1970 (my birth year too!)
* led to the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency
* paved the way for the Clean Air, Clean Water, and Endangered Species Acts
* was founded by Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson
* had 20 million demonstrators across America in its first year

Earth Day can be a chance to connect with your community, reflect on our planet, or just to make a few simple changes. The Earth Day Network can help you find a local event if you are interested in making a difference in your neighborhood.

For me, I think I'll spend my day starting my garden in hopes of raising some of my own vegetables this year, rather than importing them from thousands of miles away. Good thing my town has a farmer's market too just in case my dreams of edible vegetables from my first garden are too grandiose!

No comments:

Post a Comment