Thursday, October 1, 2009

Kashless Decluttering

I know Spring is supposed to be the season for spring cleaning, but for me Fall seems more appropriate. The kids are back in school and I actually have time to tackle things like mountains of magazines and piles of outgrown sports equipment. The age-old question is what to do with all of it. No, the garage in the picture isn't mine, but it is fun to post pictures of other people's garages!

Before the Great Garage CleanoutImage by crumj via Flickr



One of my readers passed along some info on a new site called Kashless that could help with the whole process. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like the new Craigslist with a Facebook/Twitter twist. Actually, since everything is free, it might be closer to Freecycle. Either way, all these sites offer a way to declutter your house and save useful items from ending up in a landfill. Recycling at its best!


I signed up on the site and their claim that it takes less than 30 seconds was true. Searching for an item is simple and the service is already available in nearly 100 cities. Personally, I like the Facebook angle to the site because it gives you a chance to easily pass on items you are no longer using to your own network of friends who may have similar needs. I'm thinking maybe I should investigate all those too-small ski boots in the garage before snow season starts.

To try out shopping on Kashless, I did a quick search for pianos since that was my recent Craigslist purchase and found lots to choose from. Of course, with pianos, the moving is the hard part. I did recently buy one for $400 on Craigslist and my kids love it! I think my husband and brother-in-law have almost recovered from the move. Note to readers: moving a piano is not recommended. That's why there are professional piano movers! Live and learn...

What do you have in your closets or garage that could find a new use in someone else's house? One more bonus to Kashless - they give tax receipts.



No comments:

Post a Comment