Thursday, March 4, 2010

And the Pig Said Oink, Oink

It's a good thing we have an extra freezer because I just added a half of a pig to my already large stash of beef. We had sausage this morning and pork chops last night - all delicious. I'm

sausage, kiełbasaImage via Wikipedia

convinced this is the way to go for getting reasonably priced, healthy meat for my family. Although it is a sizable purchase at the beginning, the price per pound is far less than you would pay for organic meat at a store.

If you are interested, but don't know where to start, get to know the farms in your area. Ask the meat vendors at your local farmer's markets, check out Local Harvest, or just ask around. In my case, the meat came from two different friends who are both starting their own small-scale farming businesses.

And, yes, we do still eat fish and chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment