Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Footie Protection for your Fruit

Do you ever get frustrated with fruit trees that only seem to bear worm-infested fruit at the end of the season?

Apple TreeImage by Steffe via Flickr



I heard an interesting tip on NPR today on the best way to protect your fruit. Go to your local nursery and buy a box of footies - yep, those little nylons women don on their feet before trying on shoes in a store. You just wrap one around each piece of fruit in the beginning of the season and you're done! Does it work? Here's some non-scientific analysis, as well as some advice on how to get the best results, but the verdict seems to be yes. If you want to order online, check out Home Orchard Society.

Now, I suppose if you were super environmentally friendly, you could even recycle your old nylons for this purpose, but I don't think I'm quite that green. Besides, I hardly ever wear nylons anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment