Monday, September 6, 2010

Saving a Local Forest

The kids are back in school and I'm hoping to morph back into a semi-regular blogger!

For the past several months, I've been following a local story about the Whidbey Camano Land Trust and their efforts to save 664 acres of forest on Whidbey Island from development. The short story is that the land was sold for development and parceled into 124 plots. It subsequently went into foreclosure and the Whidbey Camano Land Trust secured the right to purchase it if they could raise $4.2 million.

That number seemed far-fetched a few months ago - after all, Whidbey Island has a population of less than 60,000 and a good portion of those people are on a naval base on the other end of the island. Who would donate that kind of money? It turns out many different people and organizations have donated and I'm joining them. They still have to raise $500,000 by Friday, but I'm hopeful that my small donation puts them one step closer to their goal.

I've never set foot on the property so why would I want to help save it? Maybe it's a romantic notion, but this is an island that I can see from son's room (how he ended up with the only view in the house, I'll never quite understand...). It's the island we look out on when we play at the beach.
I like it because it's rural and I'd like to tell my kids that we helped keep it that way. It's also the island where my husband works twice a month so we feel a connection with the community. One day, I hope we can all visit this special forest!

No comments:

Post a Comment